Chia seeds are a popular superfood, and many gardeners grow them at home.
But can you also grow chia seeds from the store? The answer is yes – with a few simple steps, you can have your own chia plant growing in no time.
You can grow chia seeds from the store but you’ll need to make sure that you get organic seed that has not been processed to ensure that you get the best results.
How do you grow chia seeds at home?
Start with organic, non-processed chia seeds.
- Take a plate and cover it with a clean cloth
- Spray the cloth with clean, cold water until it is damp
- Sprinkle some of your chia seeds onto the cloth and then spray them with some more of the water
- Cover the seeds with another plate and keep them in a warm place
- Your chia sprouts will be ready to eat in 3 to 4 days
Can you grow store bought chia seeds into mature plants?
Yes and this is easy to do.
Once your seeds have germinated as above then carefully prick them out and plant into small pots of seed compost.
Keep them well watered and place the pots in a warm place that gets plenty of daylight.
The plants need 6 to 8 hours of light daily and will grow quickly.
When they reach a height of 6 to 8 inches you can put them into larger pots or plant out in the garden in a sunny spot.
- Rich source of protein, antioxidants, essential Omega-3 fatty acids, magnesium, calcium, potassium, and fiber
- An ideal addition to Whole30, vegetarian, vegan, whole food, paleo-friendly, ketogenic, and gluten-free diets
- Healthy, flavor-neutral black chia seeds add a wholesome gourmet flair to salads, snacks, smoothies, and baked goods, or soak them for a satisfying pudding or gel
- Nutiva stringently adheres to USDA guidelines and partners with organic farmers to source the world’s finest non-GMO chia seeds and to deliver food that is good for you and for the planet
- Comes in easy-to-use, resealable, BPA-free packaging
What problems can you have when trying to grow chia seeds from the store?
There are a few potential problems that you can encounter when growing your chia sprouts from store bought seeds.
The first is that the seeds may be too old and will not sprout at all.
In addition, it is possible for diseases or pests to attack the young chia plants, so be sure to keep an eye out for these problems.
If you find they are affecting your growing process then you will need to act quickly or discard and start again with new seeds.
You should also only use organic seed as the cheaper options have often been treated to remove the outer seed coating and they are unlikely to grow.
What is the best store bought chia seeds to grow?
Look for high quality, organic chia seeds that can be found in health food stores and some supermarkets.
They should be non-GMO and will often be labelled as such on the packaging.
Also make sure that they are raw and not cooked or salted as this may affect the germination process.
Why are chia seeds good for you?
People all over the world eat this superfood as part of their daily diet, and it is easy to see why.
Chia seeds are an excellent source of protein, fiber, omega-3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA), antioxidants, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, manganese and other minerals.
They are low in carbohydrates but high in healthy fats that can help reduce cholesterol levels as well as stabilizing blood sugar levels.
In addition to this, they can also help boost energy levels and improve mental focus.
Chia seeds are a great addition to your diet as they can help improve digestion, lower cholesterol and even increase energy levels.
They are also incredibly easy to grow from store bought seeds and once you have done it once it will be easy to do again in the future.
You can plant out your chia plants outside or keep them indoors on a sunny windowsill.
With a few simple steps, it is easy to grow your own chia seeds from the store .