Greenhouses are a gardener’s best friend. They extend the growing season, protect plants from pests and the elements, and can even increase yields.
But not all greenhouses are created equal.
So, what’s the best greenhouse for growing tomatoes? Well, that depends on your needs, budget and the amount of space that you have available.
In this blog post, we’ll explore the different types of greenhouses and help you decide which is best for you.
Greenhouses that use glass are the best choice for tomato growing due to strength and heat retention properties but you call also use more cost effective plastic houses with good results too. The best greenhouse will be one that is well made, has plenty of space and suits your budget.
Why should you use a greenhouse for growing tomatoes?
We all know that growing tomatoes is possible in almost any garden.
But you will achieve much better results if you use a greenhouse to grow them in, especially if it’s your first time.
Here are some of the reasons why using a greenhouse for growing tomatoes will give you better harvests:
A greenhouse offers protection from insects and birds which can cause serious damage to plants.
It offers protection from the elements which can reduce blooms and fruit set.
Your greenhouse will create dry warm conditions which are perfect for growing tomatoes.
Good temperature control means that you can avoid tomato problems.
Unless you are lucky enough to live in a warm area with good levels of sunshine you will need a greenhouse to extend the growing season to help your tomatoes reach their full potential.
Which greenhouse design should you choose?
When choosing a greenhouse for growing tomatoes we recommend that you opt for an unheated greenhouse rather than a heated one.
The reason is that heating your greenhouse will require more energy and maintenance costs.
As far as the choice of plastic or glass goes, it all depends on how much money you want to spend and the amount of space you have available.
Plastic greenhouses offer a more cost effective option than glass greenhouses but they don’t insulate as well and require more sun for optimal growing conditions.
A small plastic greenhouse is an economical way to start with, especially if you are a beginner at growing tomatoes.
If you decide that you want to upgrade later on, you can simply replace the plastic greenhouse with a glass one.
It’s important to remember though that the smaller your greenhouse the less space you will have available for growing tomatoes so consider carefully before buying something too small.
Another thing to bear in mind is that plant support structures often come as part of a package with the greenhouse itself.
If possible, it’s a good idea to purchase greenhouses that have built-in support structures because this will save you money and time.
Which tomatoes should you grow in your greenhouse?
Before you start ordering tomato plants for your greenhouse, find out how much sun they require.
Some varieties need more light than others so you will have to choose accordingly.
If possible, it’s a very good idea to start with disease resistant tomatoes because the threat of diseases is much lower when growing in a greenhouse.
If you want tasty, fresh and healthy homegrown tomatoes then we highly recommend that you buy an heirloom variety which has been bred for taste rather than appearance.
When choosing tomatoes for your greenhouse, go for small fruited varieties which won’t grow too big and will often produce large amount of sweet tasting tomatoes.
Can you grow tomatoes all year round in a greenhouse?
Yes, you can grow tomatoes all year round in a greenhouse but only if the greenhouse is heated and you may also have to provide some form of artificial light to compensate for lower levels of natural daylight.
Heaters can be electricity powered or fuelled by paraffin and you can obtain reliable and cost effective growing lights that can be mains or battery powered too.
What to look for when buying a greenhouse for tomato growing
The first thing to consider is how much effort and money you want to put into growing tomatoes in a greenhouse.
If you just want to experiment with your gardening skills without spending too much then it makes sense to go for an unheated plastic greenhouse.
As your gardening skills improve then you might want to grow different varieties of tomatoes and maybe even other plants that grow well under protection such as peppers, grapes and more.
When selecting your greenhouse there are a few considerations:
Budget – greenhouses range from low cost plastic covered houses that are simple to erect and that can be easily moved right through to larger, glass covered structures that require foundations.
Your budget will be a prime consideration.
Size – The size of the greenhouse will need to be suitable for the amount of outdoor space that you have available while providing enough room for your growing needs.
It is a good idea to get the largest greenhouse that you can accommodate as you’ll soon discover that you need more growing space.
Materials – Greenhouses come in a variety of materials from aluminium and wooden structures with glass through to push fit steel framed houses with plastic covers.
The aluminium and wood houses are the most resilient and will stand up to the worst that the weather can throw at them while the plastic houses are easy to assemble but can be prone to wind damage if not secured properly.
Ease of construction – how difficult is the greenhouse to install?
Wooden and aluminium structures will typically need some form of foundation to enable them to be secured to the ground so you will need to think about this.
Lifespan – A permanent greenhouse made of wooden or aluminium frames will last for decades if installed correctly whereas a plastic covered house may only survive one season if it is exposed to high winds.
Heat retention – plastic covered greenhouses are colder than glass covered structures making them less suitable for use in colder weather or colder climates.
Glass has thermal properties which enable it to allow sunlight in while slowing the escape of heat.
Best greenhouses for tomato growing overview
Aoxun Outdoor Stable Green House
- ☀️Twin Wall Polycarbonate Panel:Choose 4mm anti-UV polycarbonate board as the main material, which has superior light transmission and thermal insulation effect , allows light to come in to improve photosynthesis to eventually increase production. And the strong impact resistance provides the plants with a safe environment for avoiding bad weather and the damage of small animals
- ☀️Heavy-duty base and frame: Powder-coated aluminum alloy frame assembled with chrome plated hardware for long lasting use. Galvanized base has strong wind resistance,provides stable support. More intimate is four corners with slant support bars , which makes the greenhouse more durable
- ☀️Drainage System & Sliding door: Rain gutter and outlet aid in collecting and draining rain water.The triangular roof helps rainwater flow down without accumulating.Flexible sliding door for easy access can provide sufficient operation space, and it is not easy to blow open
- ☀️Adjustable rooftop vent : The roof ventilation panel adopts a hinged panel with four heights available for selection, which ensures air flowing and helps providing a warm and windless space for the plants
This greenhouse is perfect for people who want to start their own plants, flowers or vegetables.
The stable and maintenance-free aluminium structure can withstand temperatures from -20°C to 70°C, making it a great choice for year-round use.
Twin wall polycarbonate panelling ensures that the greenhouse is UV-resistant and thermally insulated.
The adjustable rooftop vent allows you to control the temperature and humidity inside the greenhouse, while the drainage system prevents water accumulation.
EAGLE PEAK 8’x6′ Portable Walk-in Greenhouse
- EASY SETUP: Innovative easy setup technology allows ONE PERSON to set up this greenhouse in seconds. EAGLE PEAK pop-up greenhouse is ready straight out of the box, no assembly or tools required with the pre-assembled frame.
- STABLE AND STURDY: With a steel-ceiling roof, the construction of this greenhouse is rigid and durable enough to endure most outdoor conditions with no problems, and create perfect environment for your plants, vegetables, and fruits to flourish. Weighing in at 35lbs, our sturdy frame is built with more steel than most other 8×6 frames on the market, making it the perfect choice for anyone looking for a reliable and long-lasting greenhouse solution.
- SPACE TO WORK: Enjoy freedom of movement with the spacious walk-in 8×6 ft greenhouse. Shelving fits comfortably in it (Please search ASIN: B08ZJ8H558 for the greenhouse shelves). This greenhouse features zippered roll up doors and mesh windows.
- PREMIUM COVER: This greenhouse comes equipped with a premium PE top cover that is not only better for the environment, but also offers superior protection to your plants, unlike other greenhouses that come with cheaper Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) top covers.
- EAGLE PEAK Promise: EAGLE PEAK offers a 1-year limited after sale protection from the original date of purchase. Unlike many other greenhouse manufacturers, EAGLE PEAK offers this for our frames, tops! If you have any other questions, please contact our professional service team.
Looking for an easy-to-use greenhouse that can be setup in minutes?
Look no further than the Eagle Peak 8’x6′ Portable Walk-in Greenhouse.
This pop-up greenhouse is ready to go straight out of the box and can be assembled by one person.
The large space and extra headroom make it perfect for growing a variety of plants, while the zippered walls and large windows provide multiple access points.
The comprehensive anchoring system ensures stability and security, making this greenhouse ideal for any climate.
Quictent 20’x10’x7’ Portable Greenhouse
- 【 2 Independent Mesh Zipper Doors& 8 Exhaust Vents】 — 2 Doors on each side of the greenhouse, one mesh door to keep small things out and ventilate on hot days; one PE cover door to keep warm. 2 Doors have independent zippers, convenient to use each door according to your need, and increase the greenhouse’s functional quality. 8 exhaust vents for cross ventilation and venting.
- 【7 Rows of Crossbars】— 3 Rows of crossbars on the top of the greenhouse, completely round structure, can prevent the snow and water from accumulating. Also the ground frame, with using the U-type stakes, will be effectively grip the ground and reduce the wind obstruction.
- 【Windows with all sided velcro】— All sided Velcro on the windows can make the greenhouse air-locked and keep the inner temperature in winter, and all 8 windows have gauze mesh to keep things out when venting.
- 【Reinforced Mesh PE Cover】—heavy duty 2 layers PE cover with reinforcement mesh into it. 100% waterproof, transparent cover can get 85% of the sunlight through, at the same time it can prevent ultraviolet ray, won’t make plant burned.
- 【 Warranty Information 】— ① Lifetime replacement for connectors, bases and stakes. ② 1 year warranty for all poles. ③ 6 months warranty for cover.
This high-quality greenhouse is the perfect way to grow your plants and flowers.
This greenhouse features a heavy duty PE cover with reinforcement mesh, 2 independent mesh zipper doors, 10 exhaust vents, 7 rows of crossbars for security and stability, windows with all sided velcro and a 100% waterproof transparent cover.
The 20′ x 10′ x 6.6′ Quictent Upgraded Greenhouse also comes with a galvanized steel frame that has been powder coated for rust resistance.
Whether you’re growing vegetables or flowers this greenhouse will suit your needs.
Portable Garden Tomato Plants Shed
- Heavy duty transparent reinforced 140G polyethylene Cover material for maximum solar performance, 100% UV protected & waterproof green house.
- DIMENSIONS of the Tomatoes Greenhouse shed- 77.95″ Long x 29.53″ Wide x 66.54/61.02″ High, High quality portable garden house built with heavy-duty powder coated metal frame.
- Overlong Cover Design makes small greenhouse more airtight and secure, just bury it in the soil, easy way but useful.
- Double roll-up zippered front door + 2 exhaust vents for cross ventilation and venting on hot days, Easy assembly with no tools required.
- Greenhouse kit offer beneficial living condition to various Upright plants for quick and healthy growth.Protect your plants and herbs in all weather.
This Portable Garden Tomato Plants Shed is perfect for the home gardener.
The heavy duty transparent reinforced 140G polyethylene Cover is 100% UV protected and waterproof.
The 77.95″ long x 29.53″ wide x 66.54/61.02″ high heavy-duty powder coated metal frame is easy to assemble and requires no tools.
The walk-in design allows you to work easily in the shed, and the double roll-up zippered front door + 2 exhaust vents provide cross ventilation and venting on hot days.
The best greenhouse for tomato growing will be one that meets your budget, available space and that you can actually assemble.
As well as ensuring that you choose a greenhouse with optimum ventilation, it is worth considering how sturdy or secure you want the structure to be.
A poorly built greenhouse will quickly become unusable so make sure that you select one made from quality materials and which has been designed for ease of assembly.
The end goal of a greenhouse is to protect your plants and flowers from the elements such as wind, rain and snow.
A well-designed greenhouse can provide you with many benefits such as better yields, increased freshness and improved quality.
Before investing in a greenhouse, it’s important to plan carefully about its location and positioning.
This will allow you to take full advantage of the sunlight and maximize your investment.
- 62cc Gas Chainsaws 2-Cycle Gasoline Powered Chain Saws Handheld Cordless Petrol Chainsaws Optional 20 Inches Gas Chain Saws for Trees Wood Farm Garden Ranch Forest Cutting
- Garden Hoe and Cultivator, 31” Long Heavy Duty Hand Hoe with Tiller,2 Section Handle, Carbon Steel Blade, Cultivator Hoe Garden Tool for Loosening Soil, Digging
- Limodot Water Transfer Pump, 115V self-priming Electric water Pump, Utility Pump With 6′ Suction Hose Kit, 1/8” Low Scution Water Removal For Rain Barrel, Pool, Hot Tub, Fish Tank, Garden, And More
- FDW Outdoor Wicker Bistro Rattan Chair Conversation Sets with Coffee Table for Yard Backyard Lawn Porch Poolside Balcony,Black
- Greenworks 2 x 24V (48V) Cordless Axial Leaf Blower (125 MPH / 515 CFM / 125+ Compatible Tools), (2) 2.0Ah Batteries and Dual Port Charger Included
- Scotts Outdoor Power Tools HT10020S 20-Inch 3.2-Amp Corded Electric Hedge Trimmer, Grey