Whether you’re looking to save a little money or just want to experience the process of growing your own pumpkins, you may be wondering if you can grow seeds from a store-bought pumpkin.
The short answer is yes, you can grow pumpkin seeds from a purchased pumpkin. If the seed comes from heirloom pumpkin then it will grow and crop reliably however, if it is from hybrid stock then the results will be unpredictable and may not crop at all.
Can you plant pumpkin seeds from a store bought pumpkin?
Although the seeds from a store bought pumpkin will germinate and grow, you may find the end results to be disappointing.
Most pumpkins that are sold at stores have been grown from seeds that have been bred for reliability and disease resistance and these seeds, in their own right, are hybrids – the end product of plant breeding.
It’s widely accepted that the fruit, from plants that have been grown from hybrid seeds, contains seeds that will germinate but will not normally produce reliable plants.
So, you can experiment and try to grow pumpkins from store bought pumpkins but you’ll probably find that the results will be poor.
- One Full Packet of “Big Max” Pumpkin Seeds. Our “Big Max” Pumpkin seeds are harvested only from the largest pumpkins with the best “traditional” shape and color. Each packets should produce 20 pumpkins weighing a minimum of 50 lbs up to 210 lbs.
- Tips and Growing Guide Included with Every Packet of “Big Max” Pumpkin Seeds. Top Quality Seeds and Beautiful Packaging Make an Excellent Gift – Full Gardening Support Provided by the Manufacturer
- Guaranteed Quality – Seeds from “Liliana’s Garden” are Guaranteed to Meet or Exceed Your Expectations. If Not, You will Receive a Refund and a Replacement
- Never GMO – Grown Using Natural, Sustainable Methods Only – Every Variety is Open-Pollinated | These Heirloom Seeds are Grow and Harvested on Small Farms in the USA
- Approximately 15 Quality-Guaranteed “Big Max” Pumpkin Seeds per Packet, Measured by Weight
Saving seeds from a store bought pumpkin
If you purchase an heirloom pumpkin, the seeds within it will be pure and have the potential to grow new plants that are true to the parent plant.
The best way to save the seeds is to simply scrape them out of the pumpkin, clean them of any excess flesh and then wash them with clean water before setting them aside to dry.
What is the best source of pumpkin seeds?
If you want to be sure that you’re getting the best quality pumpkin seeds for your garden, then you should purchase the seeds from a good seed supplier.
The main advantages to taking this route is that you’ll get certified, disease free seeds that have been bred specifically for reliable growth and fruit production plus, you will be able to choose different varieties of pumpkins for your garden.
When should pumpkin seeds be planted?
The seeds of a pumpkin can be planted as soon as the soil can be worked in the spring.
If you live in an area where the temperature regularly falls below freezing, then you should wait until the danger of frost has passed before planting your pumpkin seeds.
Once the seeds have been planted, they will take around two weeks to germinate so you should be prepared to wait a little while before seeing any progress.
You can plant pumpkin seeds under cover in peat pots for planting out when the weather is suitable.
How to plant pumpkin seeds
When planting pumpkin seeds, you will want to plant them in hills.
A hill is made by mounding up soil into a raised row and planting the seeds in the middle of the mound.
This method will help to keep the young plants from being blown about in strong winds and will also conserve moisture.
When you are planting your pumpkin seeds, you will want to plant them around 1″ deep and 2-3″ apart.
After the seeds have germinated, you will want to thin them so that they are spaced 6-8″ apart.
If you live in a cold climate, you can plant your pumpkin plants in late May or early June.
In warmer climates, planting can take place up until late July or early August.
You will want to make sure that you give your pumpkin plants plenty of water and fertilize them regularly for best results.
How long does it take for a pumpkin to grow?
Pumpkins will grow best if they are planted in a location that receives plenty of direct sunlight.
The vines will need around 10-12 feet of space to spread out and the pumpkins will need at least one square foot of space each.
The time it takes for a pumpkin to grow from a seed to a mature fruit will depend on the variety of pumpkin that is being grown.
Most pumpkins will take between 80 and 120 days to reach maturity.
Pumpkins are a Fall crop
Although pumpkins can be grown in many different parts of the country, they are considered a Fall crop.
This means that they will typically reach maturity and be ready for harvest sometime between September and November.
If you live in an area where the temperature regularly falls below freezing, you will want to bring your pumpkins inside before the weather turns too cold.
Pumpkins that are left outside in freezing temperatures will not last long.
Can you grow pumpkins in tomato grow bags?
Pumpkins can be grown in tomato grow bags, but the size of the pumpkin will be limited by the size of the grow bag.
If you are using a tomato grow bag to plant your pumpkins, you will want to start with a small pumpkin variety.
You can also use a grow bag to cultivate other vine crops such as cucumbers, zucchini, and melons.
Can pumpkins be grown inside a greenhouse?
Yes, pumpkins can be grown inside a greenhouse.
If you have a greenhouse that is large enough, you can plant your pumpkin plants in the ground and they will grow just like they would outside.
If you do not have room to plant your pumpkins in the ground, you can still grow them inside your greenhouse by using pots or grow bags.
Just make sure that the plants receive plenty of direct sunlight and that they are watered regularly.
What is a good variety of pumpkin to grow in a home garden?
There are many different varieties of pumpkins that can be grown in a home garden.
One of the most popular varieties is the “Jack-O-Lantern” pumpkin.
This variety is best suited for Halloween decorations and is not very good for eating.
- Halloween Pumpkin – This standard Jack-O-Lantern pumpkin weighs in at a respectable 18-24 lbs and is an ideal carving and decorating pumpkin.
- Culinary Uses – The Jack-O-Lantern pumpkin is as tasty as it is beautiful! Makes great baked goods and delicious roasted pumpkin seeds.
- Grow Now or Later – Plant now or store for future growing seasons. Will remain viable for years if stored in a cool dry location. Each packet has instructions for saving seeds so you can perpetuate your harvest and share with others.
- Easy to Grow – Seeds are packed in a beautiful paper packet with instructions for successful growing and germination in your own home garden. Getting started is simple for both beginner and experienced gardeners.
- Quality Seeds – Safe, non-hybrid non-GMO heirloom seeds proudly sourced in the USA for your family to plant and grow for years to come. Open-pollinated, naturally grown and selected to ensure the best germination rates.
If you are looking for a pumpkin that is good for eating, you will want to choose a variety of pumpkin such as the Connecticut Field Pumpkin.
- QUALITY – All seeds packaged by Seed Needs are intended for the current and the following growing seasons. All seeds are stored in a temperature controlled facility that is free of significant amounts of moisture.
- QUANTITY – Seed packets by Seed Needs offer generous quantities. You can share with friends and family, or save your extra seeds until the next season, if properly stored.
- PACKETS – Each packet displays a beautiful illustration of the variety to be grown, as well as detailed seed sowing information on the reverse side as well. Measures 3.25” wide by 4.25” tall.
- PROMISE – Seed Needs will never knowingly supply GMO based seed products. The vast majority of our seeds are open pollinated & heirloom, with the exception of a few hybrids.
- GERMINATION – Seed Needs packets contain some of the freshest seed available. Direct from the growers. If sown correctly, you will begin seeing results in only a matter of days.
Although it’s possible to grow pumpkins from store bought pumpkins it is not the best choice if you want reliable crops.
If you are looking to plant pumpkins, it’s best to buy the seeds and start from scratch.
You will be able to select from a wide range of varieties and the plants will be hardier and more reliable.